IGGY is set up and run by the The University of Warwick (which we’ll refer to as ‘We’ to make things easier). We’re committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This page (along with the Terms and Conditions) will tell you all you need to know about the way we collect and use any personal data that you give us.
Make sure you read it all carefully! We wouldn’t want you misunderstanding the way we do things or the way we deal with your private and personal data.
This policy relates to IGGY Members and any other visitors to IGGY.net. There are particular parts of this page that deal specifically with personal data collected from or provided by IGGY Members.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is The University of Warwick, University House, Kirby Corner Road, Coventry CV4 8UW.
1. Definitions and Interpretation
There are a few words on this page that it might be useful to define. You know, so we all know where we are. These ones, with the capital letters:
- “Disadvantaged Student” has the meaning given on the [free membership] page of our Website.
- “Disadvantaged Institution” has the meaning given on the [free membership] page of our Website.
- “Eligible Institution” means a school, academy, further education college or any other educational institution.
- “IGGY Member” means a Student who has registered to use the IGGY Service (whether a current or past IGGY Member).
- “IGGY Service” means the interactive service provided to IGGY Members through our Website.
- “Licence” means the licence granted by us for a Student to register as an IGGY Member and use the IGGY Service.
- “Student” means a student between the age of 13 and 18.
- “Website” means www.IGGY.net.
References to IGGY Member and Student in the singular include references in the plural where relevant.
2. Information we may collect from you
There are a few types of information that we’ll collect from you. These are:
- Anything that you’ve put into forms on the Website. So, your application forms, any licence requests...you know, all the stuff you’ve shared with us.
This also means stuff like:
- free membership on the basis that a Student is or is considered to be a Disadvantaged Student;
- free membership on the basis that an Eligible Institution is or is considered to be a Disadvantaged Institution; and
- Sponsored Membership.
- For Members, we’re also able to collect any information that you post on your own profile, on other peoples profiles or in groups.
- Information you give us when you report a problem with the Website. Oh, and also information for competitions and promotions. So those wrong answers can come back to haunt you!
- If you contact us, a record of that correspondence.
- If you complete surveys on our Website that we use for research purposes, although, of course, you don’t have fill these in!
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Website and of the fulfilment of your orders.
- The bits you leave behind when you visit IGGY. Stuff like traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication information. Think of us as digital foragers. Sometimes, these bits are useful for our own billing stuff, and it can always help us improve the services we provide for you.
It is also possible to make credit card payments to the University of Warwick through our Website. Such payments are handled by a third party e-commerce company called WorldPay, and they have their own privacy statement.
We'll update your information whenever we get the opportunity, to make sure that it is current, accurate and complete. Please let us know if there is any change to your information.
3. Public and Private Information (IGGY MEMBERS)
If you are an IGGY Member, we give you control as to how the information that you provide to us is shared with other IGGY Members.
3.1 Privacy Settings
We’ve got three shiny privacy settings for you to use. These are:
(a) Public: visible to all IGGY Members;
(b) Private: visible to you only; and
(c) Friends: visible to you and your friends only.
You can change your default privacy settings by accessing the “My Privacy Settings” tab on your IGGY profile.
Anything you post on “your page” or on the public forums will always be publically viewable so be careful what you write there! You’ll not be able to change your privacy settings for those areas.
For all other areas, you can pick one of the three settings above for anything you post. If you don’t pick one, we’ll assume its ok to use your default setting. Hope that’s alright!
In certain circumstances we may wish to use material posted by you on our Website homepage to showcase IGGY to potential new members. We’ll always ask in advance and you’ll get the opportunity to decide whether or not you want to be credited.
Whatever you’re posting, think carefully about who you want to see it and whether you want people to read it or not!
3.2 Profile Settings
Your username, profile picture and avatar will be always be set to public so that other IGGY Members can find you and make friends with you.
All other profile information will automatically be set to private but you can make this information public or visible to your friends at any time by accessing the “My Privacy Settings” tab.
3.3 Content Settings
When you post on the Website, you’ll be asked which privacy setting you want to use for that particular piece. This will include material that you post:
(a) onto the “Knowledge Area” (including subject pages and course modules);
(b) in respect of challenges and tasks set by academic contributors;
(c) onto any group workspaces; and
(d) as part of a debate.
You may choose these settings at any time by accessing the “My Privacy Settings” tab.
4. Friends & Groups (IGGY MEMBERS)
4.1 Making Friends
IGGY is a social network. Making links between gifted young people is our goal, and to that end, you can add friends from the Member’s page or on somebody’s profile page by clicking the ‘Add Friend’ button.
This’ll send off an IGGY Mail message and an email to the person asking them to accept the request.
They can then accept, reject or block, your request from their “My friends” page. When they accept your request, we’ll let you know on IGGY and through your email account. (If they reject or block you, we’ll keep it to ourselves...it would seem mean to tell you).
Friends can see anything you’ve applied the “friends” or “public” privacy settings to.
Groups are an easy way to get going on the various challenges. To join one, simply click “join” on the group’s page. Simple.
4.3 Removing Friends
If you don’t want somebody to stay your friend, you can just click the “unfriend” button. After you confirm your decision, that person will no longer get any updates from you, and won’t be in your friends list anymore. You can block them instead, if you prefer.
4.4 Blocking Users
You can block a member by:
(a) Reporting that user as part of an abuse reporting process in line with our Safety Policy and Members’ Terms [insert links]; or
(b) Following the procedure for removing friends described in paragraph 4.3 above.
Once you have blocked a user they will not be able to message you or add you as a friend. A blocked user will still be able to see content that you add, and you will be able to see their content.
5. Information that other IGGY MEMBERS may share about you
We have a comprehensive Safety Policy and Members’ Terms that allow IGGY Members to report abusive behaviour and any concerns that they have over any of the content on our Website. See clause 13 for more information.
If you are an IGGY Member, other IGGY Members may comment about you or your work in a number of different ways.
Where content is posted that refers to you it will be up to the person who posts that information to decide whether the privacy level should be public, private or friends only.
Other IGGY Members may also comment on materials that you post.
Once a comment is posted, you (the poster) has 15 minutes in which you can make any edits you want. If somebody replies to your post before that 15 minutes is up, that’ll lock the comment and you won’t be able to make any changes.
We’re allowed to store anything we collect from you outside of the European Economic Area (EEA) and it can be processed by people outside the EAA, who work for us or a supplier. When you submit your details, you’re agreeing to these transfers, storage and processing.
It’ll be handled by people that are, amongst other things, sorting out your membership order, getting your payment details set up, and providing you with support.
The most important thing to remember: We’ll always do as much as possible to make sure your data is safe and secure.
Your details are stored on secure servers, your payment transactions are encrypted and we’ll have no access to any passwords you give us (and neither should anyone else, so don't share it!).
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we can’t guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Website; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
7. Uses made of your information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- To bring you information about the stuff we think will interest you most;
- To fulfill all of the promises we’ve made in any contracts between you and us;
- To let you know when we’re changing things;
- If you’re already a member, we might contact you by email or text message to let you know about things we’ve noticed that you might be interested in or might help you out;
- Sometimes and in certain circumstances, we’ll allow advertisers (only one’s we’re working with, mind) access to some aggregated information about IGGY members, (for example, Licences purchased in Scotland) to make sure we’re targeting the right kind of people for IGGY.
- We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers under any circumstance.
8. ADDITIONAL Uses made of IGGY MEMBERS’ information
If you are an IGGY Member, in addition to the uses set out in clause 6 above, we use information held about you in the following ways:
- To make sure you get credit for your work on IGGY, unless you’ve set it to private, of course.
- To allow other IGGY Members to find your profile, make friend requests to you and send you IGGY materials.
- To make suggestions to you about IGGY features and materials and suggest other IGGY Members you might already know.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our IGGY service, when you choose to do so.
- To notify your Eligible Institution or individual who has purchased a Licence for you to use the IGGY Service if there has been a serious breach of our Safety Policy or Members’ Terms by or concerning you.
9. Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- If IGGY ever ends up being taken on by a 3rd party, your data will be one of the things they’ll acquire.
10. Your rights
11. IP addresses
We may collect information about your IP address, but it’s always statistical data and we’ll never be able to identify individuals from it. It’ll be used for admin purposes and to advertise IGGY.
What are cookies and what are they for?
Cookies are small text files sent back and forth between a web browser and the server it accesses. They allow a website to remember your preferences whilst visiting the site in order to provide you with a more personalised experience. They help to make websites work efficiently and for us to gather information and run reports on how the site is used, and look at ways of improving it.
The following table explains which cookies we use on IGGY and why we use them. We’ll update this policy from time to time so please check back occasionally. If you notice any discrepancies, please contact us to let us know.
What we use this for
These cookies are used to collect anonymous information about how visitors are using our site, such as number of visitors, where visitors have come from, and what pages are most visited. We use this information to make improvement to our site and the visitor experience. No personal data is collected.
This cookie only exists for the duration of the browser session, and is deleted as soon as it is closed. The cookie is used by the site to;
- set a visitor’s location, and keep them on the same language version of the site
- keep a visitor signed in as they browse page to page
- enable a visitor to go back to a resource after signing in
None of the above cookies store information about you - they only store information about your browser, its geographical location and its state on the site.
How do I manage my cookies?
Remember, opting out of cookies means you won’t be able to use any of the personalisation features of IGGY.
You can also choose to opt out from your visits being tracked by Google Analytics, to find out more please visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
13. Safety (IGGY MEMBERS)
We take your online safety very seriously and require that all IGGY Member’s adhere to the terms of our Safety Policy and Members’ Terms. Click here for our Safety Policy and here for the Members’ Terms.
If you have any concerns about information that has been posted about you, or any other concerns as to content posted on our Website by other IGGY Members please use the reporting system as specified in our Safety Policy.
If there is a serious breach of our Safety Policy or Members’ Terms by or concerning you we may disclose information held about you to your Eligible Institution or the individual responsible for purchasing a licence for you to use the IGGY Service or the University of Warwick Safeguarding Officer.
14. Access to information
This is a neat little Act that means that you can request that we give you any information about you that we have. It’ll cost about £10 to cover our admin and stuff.
We’ll let you know if we make any changes by email. Otherwise, don’t worry about it. We won’t do anything without telling you!
16. Closure and temporary deactivation of your account (IGGY MEMBERS)